Dental Hygiene is the Foundation to good Oral Health and Wellness
Proper dental hygiene is the foundation to good oral health and wellness. Dr. Daniel Bearley and his team at Bearley Dental are committed to ensuring patients understand the benefits of proactive dental care. Regular visits to the dentist for cleanings and evaluations can ensure the teeth and gums are healthy and help avoid the development of problems such as tooth decay and periodontal disease. Patients residing in Charlottesville, Virginia, can educate themselves on the proper ways to care for the smile, including:
- Brushing – patients should brush their teeth twice per day (once in the morning and once in the evening). Brushing with a soft-bristled toothbrush and a quality fluoride toothpaste can keep decay and disease from developing in the smile and help patients sustain healthy teeth and gums. When patients notice signs of problems such as tooth sensitivity, red and inflamed gum tissues, or persistent bad breath, this may be an indication of poor oral health habits and require the attention of a dentist.
- Flossing – many patients overlook the benefits of flossing. Flossing the teeth is a great way to loosen food particles from between the teeth that can significantly increase the risk of cavities or disease. Patients who are uncomfortable flossing or want to know if they are performing it correctly are encouraged to ask their dentist for further education.
- Interdental Picks – newer research has shown that patients who use a interdental pick that is soft can help stimulate the gingival tissue and remove additional food debris that floss did not remove. These picks also help break up the microbiome and can remove the biofilm to create a healthy environment for teeth and gums.
- Routine dental visits – patients should see their dentist every six months for a cleaning and evaluation. This appointment is critical to monitoring one’s oral health and wellness. By seeing a patient regularly, Dr. Daniel Bearley can spot problems early enough for successful intervention. Cavities and gum disease can be caught in the first few stages and treated more quickly and affordably than if they are spotted much later.
- Appointments as needed – any changes to one’s oral health and wellness may warrant an appointment at the dental office before a routine dental visit is scheduled. Staying abreast of changes in one’s smile can significantly reduce the chances of certain problems becoming more serious.
Call Bearley Dental today!
Dr. Daniel Bearley and his team at 901 Preston Avenue, Suite #200 in Charlottesville, VA is proud to offer preventative and proactive dental care for new and established patients in our practice. We invite patients to call (434) 443-8034 to schedule their first consultation visit with our associates to see what we are all about!